Wednesday, September 17, 2014

Society and the Black Woman

The way society views the black woman has to end
It has us changing who we are trying to fit in
We have allowed it to kill our hopes and dreams
Because we don’t all fit into the mainstream
We don’t all look like they think we should look
Nor do we follow the rules of their book

Society’s view of us has caused a lot of self-doubt
Stifling who we are and what we’re really about
It makes us believe we must be gorgeous, dumb and thin
Always ready and able to serve our men
Dressing sexy, wearing weaves and tracks
With long hair flowing down our backs

We are seen as sex objects and boy toys
Instead of women of class and poise
Educated, well-traveled and out spoken
Flexible and bendable but never broken
It’s a good thing most of us are resilient and strong
And here to prove society’s image of us is wrong

My True Essence

No comments:

Post a Comment

Self-Talk

For years I have been a victim to my own negative self-talk Tripping myself up every time I tried to move forward in my walk Letting...